Monday 25 May 2015

Q and A with the Singing Chef & Wedding Planner Tendai Kevin Zhou

He is well known for his amazing vocals and some call him 'Zimbabwe's sweetheart'.Tendai Kevin Zhou is a successful young man who not only sings but well known for his skills in the kitchen and of course  one of Zimbabwe's best wedding planners.

Tendai Kevin


Who is Tendai Kevin Zhou?


I am a 23 year old man . Yes old literally ! I'm free spirited and I'd like to think I'm an amicable fella. I work full time as an Events and Wedding planner at VIP Hosting and I also sing quite a lot , in the bathroom , in the car , in the office and mostly in the Zimpraise Choir. That's me in a nutshell 

Most of us know you for your amazing voice and we would would like to know if Music has always been your first love?.

Actually I can only remember singing from the age of 9, just after my Mum passed away I had to live with my grandmother. As long as I can remember , my grandmother always had me in front of the Lutheran Sunday School singing . As the years went by I continued to sing at school , at church and I know my grandmother delights herself in knowing she played such an intricate part of bringing out the singer in me. 

How do you manage being a singer,chef and wedding planner at the same time?.


You know I was actually talking about this with a group of people when we were sharing life experiences and I actually realised that God really just creates time for me. I'm able to safely balance all my passions, although I'm much lesser of a Chef  than I was when I was back in college ,let's just say it's the least of my passions.

Should we expect an album or single from you?

Maybe in the coming future. This is not something I feel ready for as yet. You know a solo project is such a big endeavour for me and I really don't want to do a half baked cake, I am really still learning quite a lot but let me say this, at God's time I will record something.

Have you ever thought of opening a restaurant?


Not entirely and when I say this I mean that I haven't ever really sat down to think about whether I would actually take that venture up . After being in college acquiring more information about running such a business I've realised it is in fact such a hectic one but ,a friend of mine Enos Deve shared with me a great restaurant idea that I think I would share with someone to do, if I'm not going to do it myself. In fact the restaurant will be called 'The Singing Chef' . It'll be a restaurant fused with open mic and music sessions etc.   

If you were not a singing Chef or wedding planner what would you be?.



Growing up I'd always wanted to be a doctor . I come from a family that is full of academics , people in the medical and science industry and I thought I'd be on that track too. I remember being so passionate about sciences in high school and even participating in the school's first aid team for all my high school years but, this is something that died down just after leaving school .

Who do you look up to?.




Jheez I look up to a whole lot of people . The thing with me is I don't look up to a person wholly, there's certain things I look up to in people but I have to say this ,my biggest inspiration is my mother Danai Zhou. Charity really does begin at home , from her I have learnt how to be a go-getter and pursue the things I really love. Her determination for the things she's passionate about is what has made me who I am today. She's my biggest inspiration.

What's your favourite song at the moment?

I have been loyal to Anita Wilson's - All About You. That song is the one , ANYDAY! 

Apart from Zimpraise what other gospel group do you listen to?

I listen to Joyous Celebration , no doubt . I also enjoy listening to other groups randomly especially when I'm on YouTube but not religiously . The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir and Shekinah Glory as well only to mention the ones I remember off head. 

What's your favourite meal.

This is weird but I enjoy contemporary meals as I would call them . You know one of those where you get home and throw random things together then BAM!, it's a delicious ensemble , the unfortunate thing about that is you can never really achieve the same ensemble so it's those once offs that I enjoy. Apart from that a mean Chicken Alfredo will do me good.

Your outfits are always on point.Would you consider your self a part time stylist?



I'd like to think I dress very normally , nothing to really write home about to be honest . I would not consider being a stylist but when asked to give an opinion on what to wear , I don't mind giving an amateur tip.

Whose your celebrity crush?

Hahaha my crush is not a celebrity unfortunately. Honestly though I haven't had a sleepless night over a celebrity . It's always a ,and I quote " oh that one looks hot" then I move on right along. Still tryna figure out if that's a problem or not. 

If you were to get married would you plan your own wedding,help prepare food and also sing for your bride?.



I wouldn't do any of that. Hahaha I kinda live that life everyday , planning other people's weddings so I'm really going to let someone else do it. I will actually let Lungi Dlodlo of VIP Hosting, plan my wedding . I know that way my ideas will be executed to par. 



What word of advice would you give to someone who wants to be a singer wedding planner or chef?

My general advice would be "Know what your passion and strengths are and focus on them . And yes passion will also make you do a lot of freebies but remember those cannot be done forever . If it feels wrong it probably is - move on. Your passion has gotta take care of you, work hard and earn hard too and no matter what you do , be prepared to work HARD!  Above All PRAY! There is something that prayer does that you can't do in your own strength. 

Thank you for your time💜

You are welcome.














1 comment:

  1. Really great news!!! this information is well worth looking everyone. Good tips. I will be sharing this with all of my friends! Thank you for sharing valuable information.
    _______________________________________
    Ibiza wedding

    ReplyDelete